This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!
I spent a good chunk of my weekend soaking my newest batch of bones, and ended up learning the hard way that I have a long way to go until they’ll be completely clean.
This was what the water looked like after soaking for five days, and with me changing the water on a daily basis:
Now compare that to what the water in that bucket looked like on Saturday morning (three days ago):
Even without much in the way of actual flesh left on the bones, they still smell pretty strong, and seem very greasy… when I pour in fresh water, it only takes a few seconds before oil starts collecting on the surface, and there is still some residual organic material left on a few of the bones.
I’m not sure if I’d be better off starting them in a degreasing bath as opposed to macerating them first, but if the water is any indication, the maceration baths have been effective so far at lifting out some of the gunk, so I think I’ll wait to degrease them until I stop seeing results with the biological washing powder.
I did get some of the bones that had been stuck together separated, though, and each consecutive soak leaves all of them smelling a little less nasty.
The sheer number of bones in this batch – especially the small ones – is turning the cleaning process into a difficult job, but for now I’m mostly focusing on soaking them to get rid of as much grease and oil as I can. I’ll post a least one more bone update by next week, but after that I’ll be visiting my family in Arizona, so I’ll be leaving these to soak while I’m gone. Here’s hoping that a long bath is just what these bones need to get clean!