Stubborn deer bones

This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!

I’ve checked in on those deer scapulae a couple of times this weekend, and each time it seems like that stubborn connective tissue has gotten looser and looser!

On Friday, there were still some sizable chunks left that I wasn’t able to scrape off. The bones looked like they were drying quickly in places, though, which is a good sign that there isn’t much organic material left to remove.

When I checked back on them this morning, there was still a little bit of tough connective tissue stuck on, but most of it seemed to be gone! There was also some whitish residue that had begun to lift off of the bones, leaving distinctive patches (seen in the above photos on the right). The residue came off pretty easily when I rubbed the bone between my gloved fingers, so I’m betting that another soak will be enough to remove the rest of it without much of a problem.


The scapulae still need some time to soak, and since the deer tailbone and vertebra from the other batch didn’t smell much better after spending a week in the degreasing bath (you can even see some of the pale tissues still clinging to the end of the tailbone), I added them to the maceration bath, too. Hopefully these will all be done in another week or so, but connective tissue is really difficult to remove, so these may need to soak for even longer. More updates and photos to come as I make more progress!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s