January bone update

This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!


Since December ended up being incredibly busy for me, I decided to let my deer bones sit and soak in their degreasing bath for another few weeks. Yesterday, I finally hauled my bone bucket out of the garage to see how much progress had been made in my absence!

bone-cleaning-1-4_2

The most notable change was that the connective tissue between this little bone and the end of the tailbone had finally loosened enough for me to pull them apart! These bones had been so stubbornly stuck together that I was starting to wonder if I’d ever manage to separate the two pieces, but after months of soaking and a lot of patience, I was finally successful!

bone-cleaning-1-4_4

As of now, this batch seems to be almost completely clean, but the pelvis, tailbone, and one of the vertebrae still don’t pass the sniff test, so these will go back into the bucket to soak for a while longer.

bone-cleaning-1-4_3

The gnawed leg bone and the other vertebra, however, smell and look just fine, and got to join the other bones waiting to be whitened.

I feel like I’m finally coming down the home stretch on this batch, even though there’s still a lot to do. Plus, I found a bunch of new deer bones out in Arizona that my mom agreed to mail back to me, and I got two deer scapulae from Jesse’s brother for Christmas! More updates coming soon.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s