Slow progress on the deer bones

This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!

Progress has been slow yet steady on those deer bones I’ve been working on for the past several weeks… the pelvis, tailbone, and hollow leg bone have all been especially difficult to get clean. But after soaking them for a couple of weeks, I finally started seeing some more of that stubborn tissue come off!

nature preserve bone cleaning9.jpg

They look better than ever, but there’s still some tissue left on the pelvis and the tailbone, and the leg bone smelled a bit off when I left it to air dry, so these are all going back for another long soak in hot water.


Also, I found out that my deer pelvis makes a great drying rack for my other bones. It’s the perfect shape to hang from the side of the downstairs sink – how convenient!


Finally, I noticed that the soapy water in my degreasing bath had turned green, so I decided to rinse those bones and refresh the water. Some of the vertebrae still had some light-colored soft tissue present (circled in the above photo on the right), so I set them up for another round of degreasing, as it seems like the dish soap has been helping to break up the remaining tissues. I’ll probably leave all of the deer bones to soak for at least a couple more weeks, as there’s still a lot of progress yet to be made on these. More photos to come when I make some more headway with this batch!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s