This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!
I’ve made a lot of progress cleaning those deer bones we found a couple of weeks ago, but there’s still some work to do on the pelvis and that hollow leg bone. I can still smell them when they dry out, which is a big indicator that there’s still organic matter left somewhere on the bone. You can see some of the really stubborn stuck-on tissue circled in the photos below…
…but those vertebrae, on the other hand, are clean and ready to be degreased!
Speaking of degreasing, I decided to check on the batch I started last week, since I wasn’t sure exactly how long they’d need to soak.
Judging by that yellow water, the degreasing bath has been working great so far! Some of the green stains were lifted, too, so I got some fresh water and soap and put the bones – along with the two newly cleaned vertebrae – back into the new bath.
I’ll probably leave these to soak for at least another week, and since I have a lot going on over the next several days, it might be a while before I have an update on this batch. I’m hoping to have another bone post up by this time next week, though, so check back on my blog (or in my bones tag) to make sure you don’t miss it!