This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!
About twelve weeks ago, my raccoon skull went into an extended degreasing bath. Yesterday morning, I finally got to see how it turned out after three-month soak!
To rinse the skull, I let hot tap water circulate in the dish soap bath until the bubbles were gone. I also did a little more cleaning with the toothbrush, which seemed to help lift up a bit more of that dark gunk.
It was hard to tell how much the bath and brushing helped while the skull was still wet…
…but after it spent the night drying out…
…I definitely think soaking it for so long made a difference!
There’s still some noticeable discoloration, so I haven’t decided yet if I want to try degreasing this skull even more, or move on to whitening it. At this point, I’m not sure if soaking it longer would help that much… and who knows how long I’d have to let it soak to see a difference. Either way, I’m really pleased with the progress I’ve made with this since I first found it! Can’t wait to post more about this one.