More raccoon skull progress

This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!


I managed to get a better look at my raccoon skull after pulling it out of the degreasing bath and leaving it to dry, and it certainly seems like soaking it has been effective so far. It definitely looks less discolored compared to when I first found it, so I’m thinking leaving it for another few weeks to degrease is probably the best course of action. Hopefully another three weeks or so will make an even bigger difference!

raccoon skull_degreasing3.jpg

I didn’t end up taking any photos of the turtle I’d been working on, mostly because I went to pull him out of the washing powder bath and his shell seemed very soft. I’m not sure if that’s because I shouldn’t have been soaking him – even though it was my only option, since there was still decaying tissue left and I can’t bury anything where I live – or simply because he was so fragile in the first place. I decided to place him in a hot water bath with no soap so he could continue macerating, so we’ll see how that goes… at the very least, maybe I can still save some of the tiny bones.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Advertisements

One thought on “More raccoon skull progress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s