This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!
I ended up with some downtime between projects this evening, and decided to go on a walk around the pond behind our house… and found my first skull all by myself!
I’m almost positive it’s a raccoon skull, based on the shape and size of the zygomatic arch and the dentition (comparison image on the right found in the Vertebrate Biology section of the University of Washington website). Unfortunately, I didn’t find a lower jaw, and the canines and incisors are all missing, but other than that it seems to be in decent shape. I was hoping to find a beaver skull, since I’ve been seeing a few of them swimming around the pond this spring, but no luck finding one of those so far. More photos once I finish cleaning this newest addition to my collection!