This post is about bone-cleaning and may contain text and photos that some readers might find disturbing. All content is hidden under the link. Continue at your own discretion!
So, first up – exciting news, because I finally got ahold of the cat skull my friend Kelsey found! I started soaking it Saturday evening, and rinsed it out this morning before leaving it to sit in another batch of simmering water.
In person, it was much smaller than I thought it would be… clearly from a very young cat. It looks like the teeth hadn’t even grown in much yet (more detail shots when I get it looking cleaner). I’m so excited to have a skull with a jawbone!
Up next I have the dried out jawbone and mystery pelvis. I think the pelvis whitened up pretty nicely, considering how discolored it looked when I started.
I was thinking of gluing the pieces back together so it looks better presentation-wise, but I’m not sure what glue to use. I’ll have to do some research and see if I can find any info on what kind of glue is best to use for putting broken bones back together.
Finally, I felt like sharing some cool photos I took of my lamb skull. I really liked how abstract some of these turned out, though I really need to invest in a real DSLR camera someday… my iPhone camera just doesn’t really cut it when it comes to good-quality photos.
More photos due in a few days when I get the cat skull rinsed and dried. I’m already antsy to get it into the peroxide!